River Portal (East Portal), Colorado

I'm Irish & I'm a Mason...and I have a story to tell.

Sit By The River - Share My Journey

These entries document the stories of the men, women and children who lived at River Portal, Montrose County, Colorado while working on the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel - a historic pioneering project that celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.

Please read from the first entry forwards as I tend to have my own writing style that's more like reading a book than an entry that can be read individually. Reading the posts separate from each other doesn't really convey the story properly. :)

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Surname Saturday - Dougherty, Williams, Dawson, Lacher

I'm going to repeat some surnames this Saturday - plus add a new one.  I'm really excited about something that happened and hoping that it will develop into something special!

I'm adding the surname LACHER.  This one is from the latest blog addition to the River Portal families & the last of the "family dwellings".  Next I tackle the boarding houses.  Those will be challenging both in research & in finding a good way to share.  Anyway....Lacher is the surname belonging to a single lady living alone - a schoolteacher.  I don't have a lot of information on her but I find her intriguing because of her profession.

I'm repeating the names DOUGHERTY, WILLIAMS & DAWSON.  The day I posted Thomas H. Dougherty I felt sad that it was the last of the 5 entries for the Dougherty and related Williams and Dawson families.  I didn't want to let it go.  I did a little more research and came across a post made nearly a decade ago by a great great grandchild of Thomas H. Dougherty.  I knew my chances of making contact might not be very good.  So much time has passed and the contact info could have changed.  I also knew from my own experience that responses to posts aren't as frequent as we'd hope and usually don't come immediately.  Wow!  I got a response and it was immediate!  I've contacted the person again and I'm hoping that we'll be able to share more.  In the last decade they may have found all the information they need or want on their Dougherty family.  I may not have found anything that is of interest to them at this point.  My excitement is mostly due to finally making a connection with another descendant of someone who lived and worked at River Portal.  I was amazed that the original post also asked for information about River Portal!  Awesome!  So I share these names again in honor of that wonderful new found connection!

I think it would be wonderful if this great great grandchild of Thomas H. Dougherty is able to come and visit with us here by the river!  Crossing my fingers!

1 comment:

  1. I have some Williams, but I don't think they are related. First stop in a while... glad to see new stories.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of Back to the Homeplace
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete