River Portal (East Portal), Colorado

I'm Irish & I'm a Mason...and I have a story to tell.

Sit By The River - Share My Journey

These entries document the stories of the men, women and children who lived at River Portal, Montrose County, Colorado while working on the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel - a historic pioneering project that celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.

Please read from the first entry forwards as I tend to have my own writing style that's more like reading a book than an entry that can be read individually. Reading the posts separate from each other doesn't really convey the story properly. :)

Monday, March 22, 2010

Household # 21 - Luella Lacher

First I want to thank you for your loving support yesterday.  I know that Cousin John and his family are in your prayers.  Very much appreciated!

Second I'd like to take a brief moment to just acknowledge this important day and say Happy Birthday, Daddy!  Over half a century of your birthdays have passed since you suddenly left us.  We remember....always!!!  Love you, Daddy! 

Moving back to the River Portal families in 1910, this next one is the last of those I refer to as "family dwellings".  The rest of the dwellings in River Portal are boarding houses and those will be much more difficult for me to share research on.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do that - but I'm definitely going to tackle the challenge! 

This last one isn't really a "family".  It's one single lady - a school teacher.  I was able to find her with her family before she moved to River Portal.  While researching I noted that her sister Olga had married someone in Montrose so it's possible that the family was in that area.  I surmise that the reason I haven't found anything further on Luella / Lulu was that she probably married and not knowing who her spouse was I hit a brick wall.  I have very little to offer on her.  I hope someone comes across this information and can fill in some blanks.  As we sit here now it's hard to imagine that there was once a schoolhouse here -- and my grandpa and his sister attended it.  Luella was likely their teacher. 

1900 Federal Census; Colorado; Arapahoe County;
First Precinct; E.D. 1; Denver; June 8; 155/184; DCH

Lacher, Martin Head W M Oct 1860 39 M17
                                    Germany Germany Germany 1880 20 Na?
                                               Printing Compositor?
           , Hellen Wife W F Mar 1865 35 M17 3/2
                                    Germany Germany Germany 1881 19
           , Olga Daughter W F Dec 1883 16 S
                                    Minnesota Germany Germany
           , Lulu Daughter W F Jan 1888 12 S
                                     Illinois Germany Germany
************************************************
1910 Federal Census; Colorado; Montrose County;
Precinct 17; River Portal; E.D. 111; April 27; 21/21; DCH

Lacher, Luella Head F W 22 S
                                     Colorado Germany Germany
                                                        Teacher Public School
**************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment