River Portal (East Portal), Colorado

I'm Irish & I'm a Mason...and I have a story to tell.

Sit By The River - Share My Journey

These entries document the stories of the men, women and children who lived at River Portal, Montrose County, Colorado while working on the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel - a historic pioneering project that celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.

Please read from the first entry forwards as I tend to have my own writing style that's more like reading a book than an entry that can be read individually. Reading the posts separate from each other doesn't really convey the story properly. :)

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surname Saturday - Households 14 -17 - And More!

Today's Surname Saturday entry is a little more difficult to do and a little more complicated.  Each of the main River Portal households had a separate entry posted this week devoted just to that particular family.  Although I'm only posting surnames of 4 households - one of them is my Mason family.  In doing that I've also posted obituaries that list surnames of spouses of the daughters of John and Anna Mason and surnames of Anna's sisters.  I'll try to separate these so you can tell which ones are the River Portal households and which are surnames from the obituaries.  Okay...here goes:

River Portal:

Household # 14 - John Belcher

Household # 15 - Frank Dawson (wife's maiden name Dougherty)

Household # 16 - Jack Kinyon

Household # 17 - John Mason

Places mentioned in the info posted include Ireland, England, Wales, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Idaho, Oregon, California.

It's worth taking note that Agnes (nee Dougherty) Dawson is one of multiple members of the Dougherty family living in multiple households in River Portal in 1910.

John & Anna's Info & Obituaries:

Mason, Phillips, Collins, Higgins, Blakely, Toney, Muir, Satero, Murphy, Callaghan

(NOTE:  I've used the proper spellings instead of the ones that were erroneously spelled in the newspaper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment