River Portal was the East Portal for the building of the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel. Not everyone that worked on the entire tunnel project lived at River Portal. My family wasn't the only family listed as living here on the 1910 census. Maybe your family / your ancestors lived here too? Even if they weren't from Colorado they may have come here seeking employment. Maybe you'll discover a connection to this wonderful but little known tunnel as well. So here are the surnames listed at River Portal on the 1910 census. I'll tell you more about some of the individuals involved with this project later.
I'll list the names in order of their household number. Some were families and others bunked together in groups.
3. Warren & Speckman
10. Benston (or Bunston?)
13. Riley & Carey
18. Dougherty & Dixon
22. McGillis, Winnet, Graham, Chambers, Moser, Blight, Gilbert
23. McNeil, McIntyre, Brsell (?), McDonald, Rose, Pettit
24. Collier, Briggs, Diegnan, Haller, Workman, Kelson, Adamson, McCandless, O'Brien, Cate
25. Lindhard, Morgan, Hicks, Pryor
26. Hansen, Venstron, Payne, Patterson, Hambledon, Straigel;
27. Irvine, Nichols, Krebs, Hill, Tisdall, Burns, Killian, Turini, Jensen, Moberg, Giroux, Collison
28. Shields, Chuoski, Salogub, Erikdsen, Brecht, Colsict, Berry, Fisher, Woodring
29. Cheney, McGuire, Williams, Haney, Eastwood, Mullaney, Cosgrove, Barker, Funk, Kerr
Whew! About 95 surnames! I hope some of you will recognize some of yours in this group.