River Portal (East Portal), Colorado

I'm Irish & I'm a Mason...and I have a story to tell.

Sit By The River - Share My Journey

These entries document the stories of the men, women and children who lived at River Portal, Montrose County, Colorado while working on the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel - a historic pioneering project that celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.

Please read from the first entry forwards as I tend to have my own writing style that's more like reading a book than an entry that can be read individually. Reading the posts separate from each other doesn't really convey the story properly. :)

Monday, January 18, 2010

Madness Monday - Vexed & Perplexed

I love the whole idea of trying to document the people of River Portal.  I love the idea of possibly providing a connection or a little clue for someone who may discover family at River Portal through what I share.  That would be the ultimate satisfaction!  I love the idea of connecting to others who share this special place - this unique heritage. 

However....

I'm vexed and perplexed!!!

I have been doing research for other people for years.  I've been thrilled to fill in blanks for people.  It's not like I'm a newbie and not like I don't know how to do research.  I'm not saying that I won't always have a lot to learn.  When do we ever stop learning if we're really working at something - at anything?  It's just that I think that the experience I already have should make tracing the River Portal people fairly easy.  NOT!!!  I could yank my prematurely white hair out by the roots in clumps!  UGH!!!

I've been able to find bits and pieces and I continue to research.  I like being able to follow a family through many years - through generations.  Many of these River Portal people are just more difficult than most I've encountered in the past.  Why doesn't my skill match my desire and passion?  If I could only WILL myself past the brick walls!  My people are done.  It's other people's people I seek.  I've done that successfully for years.  Why am I stuck here in River Portal??? 

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE it here where River Portal used to be.  I'm just frustrated!

To make matters more difficult there are incredible pictures I want to share - pictures of the town when it was active.  Unfortunately the prices being charged to get copyright permission are beyond my means.  I'll have to research to see if I can post links to the pictures.  Not the best choice but maybe my only one.  ?  Why can't it be quid pro quo?  Why can't I donate my research in exchange for use of the pics?  More clumps of hair being pulled out! 

So....I'm suffering from madness on this Monday!    

No comments:

Post a Comment